If you know me personally, you’ll know my entire wardrobe is comprised of almost nothing but black metal shirts. I’ve gotten them from all over: shows I’ve been to, finds from thrift shop, and even at a Target one time. The design has to be awesome though. I’ll rep your band for years to come if you not only sound good, but if your merch is just as amazing.
This week Kerrang!, a metal magazine, posted their list of the top 13 metal shirts of all time. Sure I was skeptical at first, but after going through it I’ll admit I’m impressed. I don’t own most of these, but I wish I did after going through this.
You can read their post here, and check out the list for yourself below.
- Slayer’s steel eagle shirt.
- Cradle of Filth’s ‘Jesus Is a ****’ shirt.
- Death’s plain logo shirt.
- Pantera’s Vulgar Display of Power shirt.
- Metallica’s Master of Puppets shirt.
- Cannibal Corpse’s Eaten Back shirt.
- Darkthrone’s TNBM shirt.
- Iron Maiden’s Trooper shirt.
- Slipknot’s self-titled shirt.
- Brujeria’s “Mantando Gueros” shirt.
- Anthrax’s Among the Living shirt.
- Motorhead’s logo shirt.
- Obituary’s Cause of Death shirt.
Most metalheads have seen these shirts at some point in their lives, probably at a million different shows. But there’s nothing in this list that makes me want to pull my hair out in anger. Sure, there are some I wish had made the cut (Bathory’s goat head shirt, Guns N’ Roses’s Appetite For Destruction, etc.), but all in all this list is a fine piece of work. What would your list look like? Let us know!