Beyoncé Urges “Swift and Decisive Action” for Breonna Taylor
“Three months have passed — and Breonna Taylor’s family still waits for justice.”
Beyoncé published an open letter to Kentucky Attorney General Cameron on Sunday, demanding a rigorous and transparent investigation into the death of Breonna Taylor.
It’s been over three months since Breonna Taylor was killed in her home by Louisville police officers, and legal proceedings are ostensibly at a standstill. The three officers involved have been placed on administrative leave, and have yet to face any charges.
The letter from Beyoncé, which was published on her website on Sunday, outlines the issues of the situation with powerful simplicity. It includes three specific demands:
- Bring criminal charges against Jonathan Mattingly, Myles Cosgrove, and Brett Hankison.
- Commit to transparency in the investigation and prosecution of these officers’ criminal conduct.
- Investigate the LMPD’s response to Breonna Taylor’s murder, as well as the pervasive practices that result in the repeated deaths of unarmed black citizens.
The letter closes with a plea for action, progress, an escape at long last from the cyclical pattern of silence and inaction in the wake of tragedy. “Take swift and decisive action in charging the officers,” reads the close of the letter, “The next months cannot look like the last three.”
Read the full letter on Beyoncé’s site below:
- EARTHGANG Promises New Music With JID - June 30, 2020
- Eminem and Royce Da 5’9 Launch Promising New Initiative for Social Change - June 24, 2020
- Beyoncé Urges “Swift and Decisive Action” for Breonna Taylor - June 18, 2020